Saturday, August 16, 2008

1st Post!

Hello Everyone,

My Name is Bill, and I'm (amongst a dozen other things) a cleaner! I clean All sorts of Fabrics, Ranging from The Natural to the synthetic, pants to Curtains to Leather upholstery. I have been involved in the Dry Cleaning Business and commercial cleaning industry since i was 10 years old.

I love to clean things, to restore them (if possible) to their original Brilliance, shape and form, the way they looked on the day they were bought!

One question i always get is, how do i get wine off my favourite shirt?....

My usual reply is, here's my card, bring it to the shop..I have a product....

But what did they do before the "product" was around?
How did they get wine off a shirt...how did they clean those delicate wool fabrics without them shrinking?

I have over the years developed many techniques for cleaning many different fabrics, clothing, curtains upholstery...stain removal....but all these techniques are based around "products"....I am looking for the lost art of fabric cleaning, stain removal that was practiced many many years ago, in villages too small to have a proffessional cleaner, or villages of a couple of hundred years ago....

I want to discuss and learn those tricks that our grandmothers and great grandmothers new about....that got a wine saoked dress shirt (sunday best) looking white as new again....and you know these old wive's tales and grandma trick were environmentally friendly....

So share what you know...as I will pass on what i learn....

I would also like to know, how it is that these modern "products" of ours work...

any scientist care to share in simple terms?

Here's to learning and preserving some of our ancestors secrets, tricks and stories!

Bill

No comments: